Monday, October 26, 2009

Twilight "tweets" from a 40-something Scentarista


I was an early adopter of AOL, electronic books, Palm Pilot, and computerized check-in at the airport. Right now, I love my iPhone, Facebook, LinkedIn, and wandering all over the web via my bedside MacBook Air. Unfortunately, I’m not into tweeting (sigh). I signed up for a Twitter account one Saturday, felt immediately defeated by anxiety concerning the quality of my future tweets
(What do I have to say? Who’ll read my tweets? What if my tweets are terrible?), and promptly closed my account — all within the span of about 5 minutes! In case you can’t tell already, I occasionally suffer from perfectionist tendencies that keep me from just being in the moment.

How’s this for being in the moment? The last yellow leaves are hugging the branches outside of my window and all I want to do is hibernate through the long, cold winter (I certainly have the tummy fat stored up for energy!). Since that’s not an option for an “eau-so-driven” career woman, however, here’s how I’ve been successfully perking myself up.




A Light in the Darkness
I grab my Slatkin & Co. Vanilla Shortbread Candle and fire that baby up! I’m not generally a fan of food-scented home fragrance but this one’s a marvelous melding of Madagascar vanilla, sugar cane and spices spiked with the aroma of yellow cake. It’s warm and surprisingly tart (kind of like me)!


Comedy and the City
My first summer job in NYC was way back in 1982 (Amsterdam Avenue was pre-gentrification, Keith Haring graffiti was still in the subway, and only black-clad punk rockers ventured into The Bowery). My 20s and most of my 30s were spent working in Creative Marketing at Macy’s Herald Square so, naturally, now that I call Columbus, OH home, I’m drawn to all things that remind me of my beloved NYC. I loved every episode of Sex and the City, I couldn’t wait for the movie debut, and now I’m thoroughly enjoying escaping into Candace Bushnell’s novel,
One Fifth Avenue. It’s giving me the incredible feeling of living in two places at the same time!



Baby in the Bath Water
I soak in the tub with my hubby year-round — when we travel, when I’m sad, when we’re celebrating and, particularly, when we need to discuss something potentially controversial and angst-inducing. We’ve learned that getting into the tub together for a serious pow-wow always keeps things from getting too heated (well, you know what I mean!). It’s impossible to get angry when we’re both wearing nothing but something like Aromatherapy Body Wash Sensuality in Jasmine Vanilla!


Twilight... the Fragrance
Until now, my favorite Bath and Body Works Signature Collection scent was the incredibly sexy Black Amethyst™. This year, I’ve been dying for the launch of the alluringly addictive (for me) Twilight Woods. I love it so much I just splurged on the Triple Moisture Shower and Body Creams, Body Butter, and a bottle of the elegantly decorated Eau de Toilette. The fragrance itself is a delicious blending of apricot nectar, mimosa petals, and Tuscan cypress. I find it so inspiring that after giving myself another mist on the neck and wrists last Friday night, I took a walk in the woods outside my window, looked up at those tenacious yellow leaves on the trees, and delighted in the rain falling on my face (and blurring my contacts!).

{photo cred: apple, bbw, candace bushnell}


No comments:

Post a Comment