Thursday, October 29, 2009

Costumes for Two

I have to admit, I have never really liked Halloween. When it comes to costumes, too many things can go wrong (has anyone else ever dressed up on the WRONG DAY? In middle school this can traumatize you for years...) This brings me to one of the many things I love about my husband...the chance to dress up as a couple! The possibilities are literally endless...

1. Reality TV & Tabloids
An endless source of pure insanity just waiting to be translated into an uber-creative costume. Last year I saw a great Madonna & A-Rod, and don't think there won't be a few Jon & Kate's out and about this year. A friend of mine is going as Octomom complete with big red lips, black wig and 8 dolls sewed on her shirt; and although that isn't a couples costume, it's a great show of creativity.

2. TV & Movies (Cartoons Included!)
These costumes are as much a statement about your favorite movie/character/actor as anything else. Juno & Bleeker, Shaggy & Scooby, High School Musical, Olive & Popeye, Twilight, The Hulk, Where the Wild Things are...to name a few.

3. Junk Food
I admit I might be biased here...but I love junk food and have always wanted to dress up as a can of Pepsi. These costumes are simple, straight-forward, and can make a statement about your favorite snack-of-choice. When we were still dating someone texted my husband and said "hey I saw a picture of you and your girl...you were a twinkie and she was a slice of pizza. Great costumes!" Uh yeah, not us, but the costumes were pretty sweet.

4. Group Costumes
The more the merrier, right? Take the couples concept one step further and get all of your friends involved. My favorite example of this was when 3 of my friends went to a party as The Swan. The guy dressed a plastic surgeon, complete with scrubs, fake blood and a deranged look. One girl was the "before" — dumpy, no makeup, fake zits, bad clothes. The other girl was the "after" — tons of makeup, big hair, high heels and the maximum amount of push up bra allowed by Victoria's Secret. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment